This versatile cake may be dressed up with a low-fat frosting for celebrations and parties. However it can be served on its own as the finale for a family meal. Lemon Chiffon Cake is ideal served as a cake with tea or as a dessert. Also the pure flavour of the lemon is ideal as a palette cleanser even after the heaviest of meals.
Lemon Chiffon Cake
- Line bottom only of 8-inch cake pan with waxed paper cut to fit. Or, alternatively, have 10-inch tube pan ready.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix well. Pour in oil, lemon juice, water, lemon rind, and egg yolks. Beat for 1 minute or until very smooth. Wash beaters.
- In large bowl, and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Pour egg yolk mixture evenly over stiffly beaten egg whites. Fold in until blended and evenly colored.
- Pour into prepared pan. With knife, cut through batter to remove air bubbles. Smooth top.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack. (Or, if tube pan is used, invert pan and allow to hang upside down on its own rack or funnel.) Loosen around edge of cake; invert onto cake plate. Remove waxed paper.