Marinara Sauce is a simple Italian sauce recipe that has been adapted over the years to create a multiple number of versions. The original contains tomatoes, garlic, herbs and onions. However, we have included anchovies as a seasoning with oregano to give it a superb subtle flavour. Ths sauce is ideal for serving with pasta and grated parmesan for a fast and simple yet full of flavour. This sauce can be used in so many dishes including Baked Italian Eggs and Eggplant Parmesan (Parmigiana di Melanzane). Also, I normally make this sauce in advance and pour into sealable bags and lay flat in the freezer. Although, if you make each bag a portion size, you never waste any and always know you have enough. This is one recipe that every cook should know.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan over moderate heat.
- Add the garlic and parsley and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Do not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper, and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the optional anchovies and tomato paste and stir well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.