Mole Verde de Pollo is chicken braised in a delicious green Mexican-style sauce. Whilst it may look different the sauce is absolutely divine. This green version is just one example of the many moles of Mexican cuisine.
Mexican Chicken in Green Sauce (Pollo en Mole Verde)
This green version is just one example of the many moles of Mexican cuisine. It is pronounced "Mo-Lay".Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 6 people
- 3 lbs chicken pieces 900-1350 g
- 2 cups chicken stock 500 ml
- 8 large poblano chilies
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds or pine nuts pignoli
- 1/2 cup walnuts 125 ml
- 1/2 cup almonds 125 ml
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups coarsely chopped tomatillos 500 ml - Mexican green tomatoes
- 1 bunch cilantro coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil 30 ml
- Combine the chicken pieces and stock in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 45 minutes.
- Drain the chicken and keep it warm, reserving the stock.
- Using a fork, hold the poblano chiles over a gas flame or electric burner until the skin is blistered and blackened in places.
- Place in a paper bag and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Peel the peppers, slit them lengthwise, and remove the seeds and veins.
- Working in small batches, pulverize the pumpkin seeds in an electric blender or food processor.
- Combine the poblano chiles, ground pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds, onion, garlic, tomatillos, coriander, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Working in batches, puree the mixture in an electric blender or food processor, adding enough of the reserved chicken stock to make a thick paste.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat and add the sauce.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Thin to the consistency of heavy cream with the chicken stock if necessary.
- Reduce the heat to very low, transfer the chicken to the skillet, and simmer covered until the chicken is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Calories: 895kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 74g | Fat: 61g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 28g | Monounsaturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 162mg | Sodium: 427mg | Potassium: 807mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g