Roast Tomato Rubbed Toast – This is a lovely change to the normal breakfast. The addition is mushroom and spinach add an entirely new twist and new textures. As the name implies, tomato is rubbed on to the toast. It is amazing what a difference to the flavour of the toast. It make it soft yet still crunchy but has a deep concentrated tomato flavour. I normally serve this with pipping hot Mexican Coffee for the adults and a Rio Breakfast Shake for the children. This combination of brunch and drink works every time. However, this is just one of the many breakfast and brunch recipes on this site to try.
Roast Tomato Rubbed Toast
- Preheat the oven to 200C or gas mark 6.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet then place the tomato halves on the tray with the halved mushrooms. Season well and bake for 13 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the eggs, bring a medium pan of water to simmer and add the vinegar. Crack the eggs and gently drop them into the water.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes until softly poached and transfer to a warmed plate with a slotted spoon.
- Arrange the spinach onto the mushrooms, drizzle the tomatoes and spinach with the oil and cook for a further 2 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Squash 1 tomato half into each slice of toasted bread.
- Then sandwich the mushroom and spinach together and place on top of the tomato toast.
- Top with the softly poached eggs and serve with an extra roast tomato.
- Season and serve straight away.