Bacon Twirls are a treat for any time of the year. They are incredibly easy to create and only have four ingredients. When it comes to the bacon, always use smoked streaky for the smell and subtle flavour. Ideal for snacks and loved by children and adults. I make these in advance for when my grandchildren pop in. They are always a hit. I use cheddar cheese but parmesan can also be used.
- Unroll the pastry from the pack and brush all over with the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese and lay the bacon on top.
- Put the slices as close together as possible to prevent gaps in the bacon as it cooks.
- Using a pastry cutter, pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut into individual slices and twist over twice to form the twisted shape required.
- Lay onto lined baking sheets, then place in the fridge for at least 20mins to allow the pastry to firm up.
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Remove the twirls and brush the pastry parts with beaten egg. Dont brush the bacon though..
- Bake for 15-20mins or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the tray for 5mins then remove to a cooling rack. Eat when just warm or cold.
- Best eaten on the day of cooking, but can be kept chilled for a few of days in an airtight container.
- Warm up in the oven to crisp them up again prior to eating.