Everybody loves French toast but when its made with banana bread it is a whole new world. Serve with fresh fruit for a gorgeous breakfast or brunch. Baked Banana Bread French Toast is a meal that can be made in advance with the finishing touches done at the last moment. I make the bread in advance
Baked Banana Bread French Toast
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Mix together the eggs, applesauce, and oil in a large bowl and beat well. Add the honey, bananas, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture slowly to the banana mixture. Mix well, but do not overbeat. Pour the mixture into a nonstick loaf pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Let the banana bread cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Remove the bread from the pan and let it cool completely, then slice into 1-inch thick slices. Let the banana bread dry out overnight.
- The next day, beat together the egg substitute, milk, and cinnamon. Place the banana bread slices into a casserole dish. Pour the egg mixture over the banana bread slices and place in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Dot the banana bread with the butter. Bake the banana bread slices until golden brown, about 15 to 17 minutes.