Linguine with Steamed Clams has to be one of my favourite Italian seafood recipes. The softness of the clams with al dente pasta in gentle sauce is hard to beat. Served with a glass of chilled white wine makes this a romantic dinner regardless. Also when you think this meal only takes 20 minutes to cook, there is no reason not to give it a go. I often serve this with Italian Tomato and Bread Salad – Panzanella for the texture contrast or Asparagus Salad – Asparagi in Insalata when I want to impress. Also one salad that I never thought would work but seriously does is Olive Salad – Insalata di Olive. Naturally good old fashioned Garlic Bread is a must with this dish.
Linguine with Steamed Clams
- 1 cup dry white wine/chicken stock 250 ml
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots 125 ml
- 4-6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf laurel
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes 500 ml
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin olive oil 60 ml
- 4 lbs clams scrubbed, 1.8 Kg
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley 125 ml
- 1 lb linguine cooked., 450 g
- 1 pinch Salt to taste
- 1 pinch ground pepper to taste
- Combine the wine, shallots, and cloves in a large pot and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.
- Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, olive oil, salt, and pepper and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the clams and simmer covered, stirring once or twice, until the clams open, 4 to 8 minutes depending on the size of the clams and the pot.
- Discard any unopened clams.
- Add the parsley and pasta and toss gently to combine.