One of my favourite comfort foods that always works is my mums fish pie. No matter what kind of day I ‘ve had. Sitting down with this and a chilled glass of white wine finishes a day off with style and taste. The simple ingredients of white fish and bits of salmon with a thick sauce and mashed potato create a fully flavoured experience. Mums Fish Pie as a main dish has become a firm favourite amongst my children when growing up and now my grandchildren love it. Hence it now has its own dish. There are not many dishes that children will eat that have seafood and vegetables in. Furthermore, make this dish in advance and keep it chilled or frozen. All in all a superb dish worth trying.
Mum’s Fish Pie
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Fan 180 C / Gas mark 5. Place the fish in an oven-proof dish and cover with the milk. Bake in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Peel and chop the potatoes, and boil with a pinch of salt until soft.
- When the fish is done drain the milk into a jug and put aside. Flake the fish with a fork and leave in the dish.
- Once potatoes are done, drain, then add 30g of the butter and a splash of the reserved milk and mash.
- In another saucepan melt the remaining 20g of butter on a medium heat and slowly add the flour stirring constantly until you get a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining milk a little bit at a time, stirring constantly, until you get a sauce-like consistency.
- Add the parsley and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Add the sauce to the flaked fish and mix well. Top with the mashed potato and spread evenly. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the potato topping.
- Place back in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and slightly golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.