Deviled Kidneys have always had a bad reputation. However, when grilled properly, they have a subtle flavour with a kick of heat. Also, the inclusion of mango chutney and Dijon mustard, not to forget the dry mustard, lemon juice and cayenne takes these to a new level. You can always heat the marinade and serve as a sauce for added moisture and flavour. I normally serve these on buttered toast for a superb breakfast and brunch. I add cayenne pepper when I need that kick in the morning as the mustard normally does the job. Please just make sure that you do not over cook them. They should be soft and creamy not like an eraser.
- Mix together the chutney, mustards, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and optional cayenne in a large bowl.
- Add the kidneys and toss to coat evenly.
- Marinate at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
- Place the kidneys on a well-greased baking sheet and place under a preheated broiler.
- Broil until sizzling and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.