A warming recipe that is normally associated with Christmas but is ideal for any part of the Autumn / Winter months.
Plum Pudding with Brandy Butter
Plum Pudding with Brandy Butter in not just for Christmas. The depth of flavour is amazing.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 12 people
- 8 oz pitted dates chopped, 225 g
- 8 oz dried figs chopped, 225 g
- 8 oz Dried Apricots chopped, 225 g
- 8 oz walnuts chopped, 225 g
- 1 lb raisins 450 g
- 4 oz chopped candied citron or cherries 110 g
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour 250 ml
- 1 tsp Salt 5 ml
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon 5 ml
- 1 tsp ground ginger 5 ml
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice 2 ml
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg 2 ml
- 4 large eggs free range
- 1 cup brown sugar packed, 250 ml
- 1/2 lb ground suet lard, or vegetable shortening, 225 g
- 2 1/2 cups soft white bread crumbs 625 ml
- 1/2 cup cognac or other brandy 125 ml
- 1/2 cup corn syrup 125 ml, golden syrup
- Combine the fruits, walnuts, and citron in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the flour, salt, and spices together in a separate bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl beat the eggs and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in the suet, bread crumbs, Cognac, and corn syrup.
- Stir in the flour mixture until well blended, pour over the fruit and nut mixture and stir until well blended.
- Butter the inside of a 10-cup (2.5 L) mold or coffee can and dust with granulated sugar.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared mold, cover with foil and tie with a string.
- Place the mold in the slow cooker and add water to the slow cooker to come halfway up the side of the mold.
- Cook covered on high heat for 6 to 7 hours.
- A wooden skewer inserted into the center will come out clean when done.
- Cool in the mold for 30 minutes before removing.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with brandy butter (recipe also on our site)
A traditional British pudding that has been kidnapped over the years by others!!
Calories: 984kcal | Carbohydrates: 152g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 11g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 600mg | Potassium: 809mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 84g