Bolognese Ragù has to be one of the most flavourful sauces available. With the red wine, smoked pancetta, mirepoix of celery, onion and carrots, beef and herbs put in a pan and allow to simmer for 2 hours. That can only be good news. The kitchen will be full of mouth watering aromas that will pull you to the table. I make the sauce in advance in large quantities, take what I need and freeze the rest. It is ideal for serving with pasta or baked potatoes for a fast meal the children love. One suggestion; always use decent red wine when you cook and drink the rest.
- 250 g tagliatelle
- 1 small onion vfc
- 1 small carrot vfc
- 1 stalk celery stick vfc
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 400 g braising beef mince
- 60 g smoked bacon pancetta, vfc
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 150 ml red wine decent
- 2 pinches nutmeg grated
- 150 ml beef stock
- 150 ml milk whole
- 60 g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch Black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch Salt to taste
- Heat the butter and oil in a good saucepan.
- Add the sliced garlic and cook for 1 minute, and put to one side.
- Add the pancetta and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often until cooked.
- Add the onion and when softened add the carrot, celery and bay.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning.
- Add the beef, turn the heat up to high and cook until medium-brown. DO NOT allow the beef to stew just brown.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Next add the wine, nutmeg and stock to the pan and bring to a boil.
- When it is boiling, reduce the heat to very low in order that the mixture slowly bubbles away.
- Put the lid on with a wooden spoon propping it open slightly.
- Slowly cook for about 2 hours.
- Every now and again, add a little of the milk to the ragu and stir in. The ragu should have a rich thick texture after allof the milk has been absorbed.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- When you are happy with the Ragu, add the tagliatelle to boiling water and cook per the packet.
- To serve, mix the ragu with the tagliatelle and serve immediately with a grating of parmesan.