Cuban Shredded Beef - Ropa Vieja
Once you have experienced this recipe, there is no turning back. The flavours are amazing.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 6 people
- 1 lb flank steak 450 g
- 8 cups water 2 L
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper seed/chop
- 1 sofrito Recipe on this site
- 1/2 cup broth reserved from boiling the meat 125 ml
- 1/2 cup Frozen Peas 125 ml
- 2 ounce pimientos 56 g, chopped
- Salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Combine the flank steak, water, garlic, carrot, onion, and bell pepper in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 2 hours.
- Remove the meat and allow to cool, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Pound the meat with a mallet or back of a large knife to separate it onto stringy fibres.
- Combine with the sofrito, reserved broth, peas, pimientos, salt, and pepper in a large skillet and cook over high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve with white rice.
Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.02g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 142mg | Potassium: 128mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g