Indian Curried Potatoes and Peas (Alu Mattar)
A simple vegetarian side dish that packs a punch both in colour but also in taste.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 6 people
- 1/4 cup ghee 60 ml, see recipe on this site
- 1 tbs fresh ginger 15 ml, finely chopped
- 1 tbs garlic 15 ml, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion/shallots 125 ml, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin 5 ml
- 1/2 tsp turmeric 2 ml
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste, 1 ml
- 3 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 20 oz green peas defrosted
- 1 large potato peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 1 cup water 250 ml
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro 45 ml, coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp garam masala 2 ml, see recipe below
- Salt to taste
- Heat the ghee in a heavy pot over moderate heat until it is very hot.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, turmeric, and cayenne, followed by the tomatoes.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture forms a thick paste, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peas and tomatoes and stir to coat them with the tomato mixture.
- Stir in the water and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and garam masala and serve immediately.
Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 17mg | Potassium: 294mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g