Lovely Pumpkin Soup has always been a traditional Halloween recipe. Using pumpkins for Halloween decoration means scooping the inners out and often throwing them away. With this soup, there is no waste and you have a filling and warming result. It benefits from being able to make in advance an warmed when needed. While I use chicken stock for this recipe, vegetable stock can be used to become a vegetarian dish. Making your own homemade stock is easy and can be found by clicking here.
Lovely Pumpkin Soup
- Put a pan over a medium heat and add the stock.
- When warm, add the stock, salt, pumpkin puree, onion, thyme, garlic, and peppercorns.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
- When boiling, turn the heat down to low until it is simmering. Continue to simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Once simmered, carefully add to a blender. You will need to do this in batches. Puree the soup until to the texture you enjoy. I love smooth soup.
- Return the now bended soup to the pan, and bring to a boil again.
- Again, when boiling, reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for a further 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Add the heavy cream and stir well.
- If serving immediately ladle into warmed soup bowls together with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley as a garnish.
- If serving later, leave to cool and pour into an airtight container and store in fridge for a few days or freeze.