Salmon Mousse with Sour Cream Dill Sauce is a starter that never goes out of fashion. The simplicity of this dish and the complexity of its flavour makes this a superb starter or side dish. The sharpness is provided from the Lemon Juice and Capers. Whilst the mild hit of the Paprika and Tabasco Sauce gives the dish flavour and body. Although, this is mellowed by the additional of mayonnaise and the cottage cheese but can be ramped up. I serve this dish with crackers or small triangle of toasted bread for a starter. However, I serve this with a refreshing salad as a side dish.
Salmon Mousse with Sour Cream Dill Sauce
- Soften the gelatin in the cold water, add the boiling water and stir until the gelatin has dissolved. Cool.
- Add the mayonnaise, lemon juice, onion, tabasco, paprika and salt and mix well.
- Chill to the consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- Add the salmon and capers and beat well.
- Whip the cream, fold into the salmon mixture and turn out into a 2 quart oiled mould.
- Add the cheese to fill the mould.
- Chill until set.
- Unmould on a serving platter and garnish with watercress, lemon
- slices and salmon roe. Serve with sour cream dill sauce.