Lovely recipe giving several portions of healthy food in a single dish.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to Collection
Servings: 4 people
- 2 whole red pepper quartered and deseeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole fennel bulb roughly chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- tsp ¼crushed chillies
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 400 g chopped tomatoes standard can
- 600 ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 bunch basil finely sliced
- 500 g bag fresh egg pasta
- Heat the grill and place the peppers, skin-side up on a baking tray until beginning to char.
- Move them to a bowl, cover and set aside.
- Once cold, peel off the skin and cut into strips.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the fennel, onion and carrot until softened.
- Stir in the garlic, crushed chillies, fennel seeds and tomato purée, cook for 2 mins, then add the canned tomatoes, stock and sugar.
- Simmer, uncovered until the vegetables are completely soft. Should take around 10-15 minutes
- Transfer the sauce to a blender and blitz to the texture you wish. (or blitz in the pan if you have a hand blender)
- Boil a pan of salted water and cook the fresh pasta per the packet instructions.
- Place back in the pan and simmer for a further 5 mins to thicken, then add the basil and peppers. Serve with the pasta and eat immediately
An easy method to get the children to eat their veg.
Calories: 471kcal | Carbohydrates: 80g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 42mg | Potassium: 341mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g