Delicious French Stick is an simple French recipe that may take a while but the result is amazing. Prepare in advance with only a few ingredients but the French Stick can be used with so many courses. Garlic bread, sandwich/snack, side dish, breakfast/brunch and ideal with soups and pasta dishes.
Delicious French Stick
- 1 bowl
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 Cling Film/ Plastic Wrap
- Add the water to a large glass mixing bowl and add the yeast using a wooden spoon/spatula. Stir well.
- Add the salt and continue to stir/beat/mix until the dough mixture is thick and you can wipe the flour off the side of a bowl with it. Should take up to 10 minutes but faster if using a mixer with a dough tool.
- Cover the bowl with cling film/shrink wrap and place to one side to allow it to rise. It should double in size overnight. (12 hours)
- (I put the bowl into a cupboard so its dark and not cold to help).
- Lightly oil two baking trays (two sticks per tray)
- When risen, the dough will be very sticky and quite bubbly. That’s the yeast working.
- Sprinkle plenty of flour over a cool work surface and remove the dough from the bowl onto it. (a wooden spoon dusted with flour helps.)
- Dust your hands with a little flour and knead the dough into a rectangle shape. Cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Dust each piece with flour and gently roll the dough, working it gently. It should stretch into a roll of about 9 – 10 inches by 1 1/2 inches. When it is the shape you want, carefully transfer to the lightly oiled baking trays.
- Repeat the process until all of the French sticks are rolled and on the trays.
- Lightly dust the sticks again and lightly cover with more cling film, plastic wrap for a further 1 1/2 to 2 hours. They will almost double again in size, hence only two sticks per tray.
- Pre heat the oven to 250C/500F/Gas Mark 9 or as high as it will go. Place a high sided baking tray in the base of the oven to heat up.
- Using a sharp knife cut several slashes into the top of the dough at an angle
- When the baking try is hot, add water to the tray create steam in the oven. (helps the dough cook perfectly)
- Place the trays into the heated oven above the water bath and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until they look lovely and golden bread.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.