Chinese Egg Rolls are simply a delight to eat. The pork, bean sprouts and shrimp wrapped inside egg roll wrappers provide textures that will captivate you. Add these ingredients to the soy and rice wine and fry them to have a crunchy, soft, meaty, fishy meal. These are ideal as a main dish, side dish and also as a starter. Using peanut oil to sauté the pork and then to fry the completed egg rolls give the dish a lovely subtle nutty background flavour. This Chinese recipe is ideal to serve with dishes such as Noodles with Peanut Sauce, Sweet and Sour Pork – Mema’s Style and Chinese Five-Spice Chicken (Wu Hsiang Chi).
Chinese Egg Rolls
- 3 tbsp peanut oil or veg oil
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb Shrimp peeled, deveined, and finely chopped, 225 g
- 225 g bean sprouts
- 4 ribs celery finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- alt to taste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with cornflour
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 450 g egg roll wrappers
- 3 cups peanut of vegetable oil for deep-frying 750 ml
- ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a wok or large heavy skillet over high heat.
- Sauté the pork just until it looses its colour.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the corn-starch mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the shrimp have turned pink and the liquid boils.
- Stir in the corn-starch mixture and cook until the corn-starch becomes clear and the liquid has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Shape about 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the cool filling mixture into an oblong "sausage" shape and place diagonally on one of the egg roll wrappers.
- Fold one corner of the egg roll wrapper over the filling, and fold the adjacent corners towards the centre.
- Moisten the remaining corner of the wrapper with a finger dipped in water and roll the filling to form a tight bundle.
- Repeat with the remaining filling and wrappers.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet until the surface shimmers, about 375F (190C) on a deep-frying thermometer.
- Fry the egg rolls 5 or 6 at a time until golden brown on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and repeat with the remaining egg rolls.
- Serve as soon as possible, or keep warm in a 250F (120C) oven until ready to serve.